The Church is Alive

Friday, March 19, 2010

31 Days Into Lent. How are you?

Matthew's post is part of our Lenten Water Project. Throughout this Lenten season our writers will be focusing on the subject of water and what that means to them. Please donate to our well-building efforts, and if you have something YOU would like to say about water, let us know and we'll post it here!

It’s been a little over four weeks since Ash Wednesday, since we gathered in our places of worship, and had ash-marked crosses rubbed on our foreheads. We were marked as Christ's own and reminded that "to dust" we would return. It has been four weeks of prayer, reflection, discernment and quiet. It’s been thirty-one days since those first steps into the season were taken, and, I have to wonder, how are you? Are you hanging in there? Are you tired? Are you ready for Easter?

I'm getting there.

I admit, this Lenten season has been different for me. You see, each year I try to figure out exactly what I’m going to give up. I want to pick something that I’m not too addicted to, but I want to pick something that is so much a part of my normal everyday life that I will notice it’s gone. I mean the mere idea of giving up coffee is just crazy for me - I’m way too addicted to that to give it up. I need to give up something that I know, that I can succeed at not having for a season. I need to be slightly to moderately challenged. It’s become a pride thing. It’s more realistic that I give up chips for lent, or talking on my cell phone while in the car, or pizza or something that I enjoy but don’t really have to suffer to give up. I think some of you out there know what I’m talking about. There are plenty of things we will give up, but there are also plenty of things we believe that we just can’t live without.

This year I haven’t given anything up. Rather, I’ve added a few things. Namely the water project on this site was a big addition to my life. Water has consumed me for the past thirty one days. I have thought more about water than ever before. Right when I think I’ve thought about water in every possible way, another amazing post is published and my eyes are opened yet again. We have heard some amazing stories and reflections that involve water. Some of the stories and reflections are challenging, some heart warming, and others read like prayers. Needless to say, I’m thankful for each. These reflections have helped to keep me focused and going throughout what can sometimes be a grueling time of quiet. My eyes have been opened in new ways, and I can't fill up a glass of water without the recognition of how easy it was, and how thankful I am for that one glass. But, I then pray for those who don't have clean water.

I'm thankful that prayers have been matched with action. As of today, 49 people have donated, raising $1,717 $1,817 to serve 85 90 people. Amazing. As I scroll down the list of donors, I see names of folks from college, youth group, family, friends, and a ton of people I don’t know! It’s really great! Officially there are 59 days left in our water campaign, and we are $783 from our halfway mark. As we move forward, if you haven't donated will you think about donating? If you have donated, will you tell a few of your friends about the campaign, and ask them to donate? Together we can do this!

So it's been 31 days. It's been a different Lent for me this year; a Lent filled with community, action, and really hard questions. I'm hanging in there. How are you?

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! There is so much being done, yet so much to do!

    I, for one, have struggled in a lot of ways this Lenten season. Yet knowing that so many great people are so willing to give to so great a cause is not only uplifting, it's inspiring.

    Keep it up, folks!

    ReplyDelete