The Church is Alive

Friday, April 2, 2010

Appreciating Tap Water

Heather's post is part of our Lenten Water Project. Throughout this Lenten season our writers will be focusing on the subject of water and what that means to them. Please donate to our well-building efforts, and if you have something YOU would like to say about water, let us know and we'll post it here!



Well, I'm finishing up two weeks of only drinking water. I had read about the Lenten water project. At first I thought, "there is no way that I could ever do that." So I just put it out of my mind, forgot about it and started Lent without adding a spiritual practice or giving something up. Then this year for spring break I got to take my first trip out of the country to Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala. During the week that I spent there, one thing that was a huge change for us was not being able to drink from the faucet. Here we can just grab a glass in the kitchen and fill it up with tap water and be totally fine after we drink it. If I had done that there, the next few days would not have been very fun. So, after having to be very careful with the water I drank and even the food I ate that could have been washed with the unclean water I began to really think about the world's water crisis. So on World Water Day, March 22, I decided to jump in on this challenge.

I applaud any one who started this journey at the beginning of lent. After day 2 of only drinking water I wanted to quit. It is much harder than I expected to give up everything else. I am glad to say that I have stayed strong in these two weeks but it hasn't been easy. I am so looking forward to something with flavour. But more importantly these last two weeks has given me the opportunity to talk to people about the water crisis and hopefully got people thinking about how they use water and what they can do to help.

So for everyone who is on this journey and are doing what they can to help end the world water crisis, The 40 days is almost up but that doesn't mean that we can stop raising awareness.

Stay strong and keep being the rock stars that you are.
-Heather
* * * *
Heather Scott is a senior in Audio Engineering and Music Business at Belmont University, an active participant with the Presbyterian Student Fellowship in Nashville, and resident Audio/Visual Queen at Montreat.

1 comment:

  1. I remember so well getting sick in the D.R. simply because I brushed my teeth with the tap water...that was my first trip south of the border my junior year in HS and where I first became interested in Latin America and Spanish...it's amazing where trips like that one or the PSF trip to Guatemala can lead! I love your post Heather! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete